Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Saying it out loud

They say that when you say your goals out loud, tell people about them, you stand a better chance of reaching those goals.

That's what this blog is all about. Me putting my goals out there into the world. Sure, the only people likely to read it are my wife, my family, and the friends I tell about it, but so what. If anything, I'll be able to find the words in a year or five easier than I would if I were to write them down in a notebook like I usually do.

I'm a strong proponent of "S.M.A.R.T" goals. Even if I can never remember what the "R" stands for-- I always think "Realistic", but then "A" as "Attainable" doesn't make much sense, because they're kind of the same thing. Thank you, wikkipedia. So RELEVANT!

Anyway, here's the goals (and for now, these are just the ones related to fitness)

1. I will exercise for 30 minutes every day
2. I will compete in two triathlons this season: one sprint, one olympic
3. I will lose 20 pounds by Christmas
4. I will .... set a more specific goal related to eating better sometime soon

Yeah, #4 isn't very "smart". Whatever.