Saturday, April 4, 2009

Overgear

I don't like that word.

O-ver-gear [oh-ver-geer]:
verb
  1. To shift bicycle gears such that pedaling becomes overly difficult, requiring more power, but resulting in more speed;
  2. To crank the tension on a spin trainer such that pedaling becomes overly difficult, requiring more power, increasing the likelihood of pulling right out of the cheap and loose clipless pedals;
  3. Torture;
  4. To use excessive resistance to build leg power;
  5. *%@$&!%#$!

---

After Moday's ladder session on the bike, Tuesday's long (and fast) swim, and Wednesday's Overgearing, my body protested at the Thursday bike-swim brick. The power-building bike session was great, it was the swim that didn't go so well.

About halfway through the workout, I was finally getting into the groove when I felt a pop in my shoulder. Nothing painful, and it does happen sometimes, but I was concerned enough to take a break, especially since I tend to really use my arms for a strong pull. Coach suggested I take some pressure off the shoulder by finishing the set in flippers-- good idea. Until I got the cramp to end all cramps 3/4 of the way to the other end! I'm talking full-on muscle lock for a good 15-20 seconds, and spasms after that!

Mentally calculating how much I'd done so far in the week, I decided my body was trying to tell me something, and climbed out of the pool.

Going to go for a short run today, and pull the bikes out of storage. Memo to Mother Nature: NO MORE SNOW, PLS. THX.