Thursday, June 17, 2010

Finding Consistency

In the past few days, I've been skimming through some of my old posts. I've had such a hard time being consistent with both my training and my blogging! But I'm a silver-lining kind of person, and although I can't say I've trained consistently enough to be at my best, I have trained enough to see improvements. (Lake Chapparral 2008 results vs. Wasa Tri 2010 results, for example). I also see the silver lining in my pending unemployment-- more time to train for the Calgary 70.3.

Yes, that's right, my last day at work is tomorrow. Because I've read so much about people losing their jobs by blogging about it, I've had a strict no-work policy in this very public journal. Which has made it difficult to write anything, because my headspace has been so consumed with work-- some good, most frustrating. I'll leave it at that.

Now, I am looking at a few promising opportunities, and I don't think this will last more than a few weeks. I'm really trying hard to make sure that I find something that I can balance mentally with training. As great a meditation that running can be, too often I find myself running around in circles mentally, trying to solve a customer problem, or put together a strategy for a meeting. I'm sure that will be the case with any job I end up with, but I really hope that the next role will allow me the flexibility to actually resolve those problems!

I am on the right track, at least-- both professionally and with my training. I've managed to train consistently over the past two weeks, and did run this morning:


Still loving the Garmin! It was great for the race-- the Auto Multisport mode was super-easy, and I also really like the Virtual Partner, which goes beyond a pace-of-the-moment to tell you how far ahead or behind you are compared to if you were exactly on your target pace.