Tuesday, February 24, 2009

YMCA - Private Club?

Since when is the YMCA a members-only club? What happened to the community focus? I mean, it's a nice facility and all, but come on. It looked like only three or four lanes of eight to ten were actually being used.
Good news, it's not a Calgary YMCA that has taken this approach. More good news, I found another place to swim not far away (I'd done my research on the internet). Bad news, only two lanes open, and for only another half an hour, by the time I got there!! Okay, can't complain too much, not like the lanes were full or anything.
But I thought that general lane etiquette was stay to the right, except to pass? I felt really bad, because I joined a lane with one person who I thought was going about my pace... but he wasn't. I ended up passing him, then I guess he took that as me taking half the land and he'd take the other, so then he'd stay just to that half a lane. Thankfully, no actual collisions, but there was at least one very close call.

Help me out here, what is the etiquette? Maybe I shouldn't have passed him at all?

30 minutes ~1400 m (I wasn't counting) @ average 100 seconds/100m